Monday, April 22, 2013

this much concentration may make my head explode

I had a post all planned out (well, loosely outlined in my head) about my rheumatology visit today and I was really looking forward to it. I was going to gush about how Dr. Awesome is pretty damn near being my favorite health care professional of all time, next to the labor & delivery nurse who got her other patient covered to ensure that I got the drug-free birth I wanted. I don't even remember her name, but I'll never forget how she spent the last hour - which was the majority of Emily's labor - coaching me through it. (I still can't decide if it would be classified as precipitous labor since I had not only contracted uselessly for weeks beforehand, but also had the occasional painless contraction once my water broke in the wee hours of the morning...since labor didn't start until six hours after that, and then lasted about an hour and forty-five minutes, I think I can claim it. For the record, it was pure insanity. IN-SAN-I-TY.) Without her I think I would have completely fallen apart...for real.

Then the migraine that's been torturing me like a schoolyard bully became worse again. It keeps teasing me, backing off and lingering right around the corner before jumping up and punching me in the face.

So not only is it exacerbated by the eye strain that comes with sitting in front of a screen and scanning back and forth as I read, but I'm also in a perco-fog after finally yielding to its half-hearted promises of respite from the pain. It took an entire episode of The West Wing to muddle my way through that first paragraph.

(For the record, I'm not writing this in an attempt to garner sympathy; we all have our issues to deal with, whether they're physically painful, mentally taxing, emotionally draining...or not that affecting at all. To put it simply, if I don't get mine out and try to at least lighten them up a little, I won't be able to focus on anything else.)

I was sadly excited to write all about why Dr. Awesome is so awesome, but it'll have to wait another day.

I've been laying pretty low on my alcohol consumption and drinking a literal gallon of water every day in the hopes of discouraging the migraine from beating the hell out of my brain, but since, as one of my chronically awesome friends put it...




...I'm just going to indulge anyway. Can't let them take away everything that I look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment